Find an Internship or Co-op
An internship or co-op provides an excellent opportunity to gain relevant experience, develop transferable skills, and make networking connections. In some cases, an internship/co-op can even lead to a great job. If you’re a current JCTC student, you can explore available internships and co-ops. Not a current JCTC student? That’s ok. Our additional resources can help you.
Understand the Basics of Internships and Co-ops
Before you begin searching for an internship or co-op, it’s important to know what kind of position you’re searching for and why it’s important.
- Understand the difference between the terms internship and co-op. While internships and co-ops are often used together, they are not the same thing. An internship is usually unpaid and requires you to work 120 hours during the semester or an average of 10 hours per week. A co-op is usually a paid position that requires you to work 240 hours during the semester or an average of 20 hours per week.
- Learn the benefits of completing an internship or co-op. An internship or co-op is a great opportunity with several possibly benefits, including:
- Gaining related experience in your career field
- Connecting your educational experiences to the world of work
- Making networking contacts that you could use for future employment
- Landing a full-time position
Determine Your Eligibility for an Internship or Co-op
(JCTC Students Only)
Review the eligible majors and internship/co-op requirements before submitting your application.
- You must be a current JCTC student
- Only students pursuing one of the following JCTC majors can earn college credit for the completion of an internship or co-op:
- You also must meet the following requirements:
- Current Jefferson Community and Technical College student
- Completed 12 credit hours in your major
- Major must offer internship or co-op as a requirement or elective
- Minimum GPA 2.0
- Must have place of employment to complete your internship
- Can be with current job/employer related to your major
- Be placed with an employer working with Program Coordinator at JCTC
Apply to a JCTC Internship or Co-op
(current JCTC students only)
Students interested in a co-op or internship need to complete and submit the following documents for consideration:
- Experiential Learning Application
- Two JCTC Faculty Recommendations
- Resume: Students are encouraged to visit the CREW Center and work with a counselor to update and/or edit their resume. For format and content expectations, click here
Documents should be submitted to:
JCTC Coordinator of Cooperative Education/CREW Career Center Counselor
Jefferson Community & Technical College
200 W. Broadway, JEC 5th floor
Louisville, KY 40202
firstname.lastname@example.org; (502) 213-2439
University of Louisville Metro College Students Only:
Log in and view Handshake for additional internship and career opportunities!
Locate Additional Internship and Co-op Opportunities
If you don’t meet the eligibility requirements to apply to a JCTC internship or co-op, you’re seeking a second opportunity, or you’re a Metropolitan College participant at the University of Louisville, you should check out these resources.
Current University of Louisville students should contact the Career Development Center and speak with their academic department about possible internship and co-op experiences.