Career Guides (Volunteer Mentors)
Share your professional knowledge and expertise. It’s flexible—no time commitment. Simply offer "one-time" feedback to students on their career document using an online guided form.
Complete the online the Career Guide Mentor Volunteer Form.
Share this online volunteer opportunity with your friends and colleagues.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock
Do you remember looking for your first job after college?
If you were like most new college grads, you were excited—and a bit terrified about finding your first job. As an industry professional, you can get involved in a meaningful volunteer opportunity and provide guidance to students who are preparing to enter the workforce.
The Online Career Guide Mentor Program is offered entirely online via email and supports the professional development of currently enrolled Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) students and Metropolitan College (MC) participants preparing to enter the workforce.
The mentor program is designed to connect students with professionals who will serve as their "Career Guides" for brief, "one-time" career development feedback in one or more of the following areas: Resume Review, LinkedIn Profile Review, and Online Career Portfolio Review.
Career Guides and students can maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session, if mutually agreed.
How It Works
Interested in becoming a Career Guide Mentor? It’s easy.
- Register to be a Career Guide—Complete the online Career Guide Mentor Volunteer form (5 minutes).
- Monitor email for Career Guide communications—All match notifications will include mentee’s academic and career goal statements, career document, and online guide feedback form. Mentors may receive up to three student matches per month based on need.
- Recommend strategies and tips for career development— Provide one-time feedback on career document using the online guided form (15-20 minutes) and maintain contact with mentee—if mutually agreed.
Note: Communication among Career Guide Mentor and student are through Career Guide online forms only. This mentor program does not help facilitate face-to face interaction. Our goal is to match Career Guides with students who share similar career interests; however, all networking relationships are deemed valuable and can contribute to professional growth, knowledge sharing, and innovative ideas. Students may contact MC/CREW Career Center to request unlimited mentor match referrals to help build their professional network.
Career Guides must meet the following eligibility requirements for consideration:
- Must be currently employed or retired
- Must have a minimum of one year of full-time relevant work experience in career field
- Must have a degree or credential (or equivalent experience)
Note: This is an online mentor program—geographic location not applicable.
This is an online volunteer opportunity. It's flexible! Career Guides may receive up to three (3) match notification emails a month—only takes 15-20 minutes to offer "one-time" feedback. Career Guides may opt-out of participation at any time.
Note: We value and appreciate your volunteer commitment; however, depending on the number of students and Career Guides participating, there may be months when you do not receive any match notifications.
Mentor Match Closures
Mentor matching will be closed during the month of December for peak season and will reopen starting in January. Volunteer Mentor applications will continue to be received and processed year-round during normal business hours.
Career Guidance Areas
Career Guides may volunteer to provide "one-time" feedback in one or more of the following areas:
- Resume Review | Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes | Delivery Method: Email | Sample Resume Feedback Form | Provide "one-time" resume critiques using an online guided feedback form to help students promote their skills and experience to employers.
- LinkedIn Profile Review | Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes | Delivery Method: Email | Sample LinkedIn Feedback Form| Provide "one-time" LinkedIn profile reviews using an online guided feedback form to help market their personal brand, network with professionals, and showcase relevant skills and experience to employers.
- Online Career Portfolio Review | Estimated Time: 15-20 minutes | Delivery Method: Email | Sample Online Career Portfolio Feedback Form | Provide "one-time" career portfolio website reviews using an online guided feedback form to help students brand their candidacy and effectively highlight their relevant skills and experience to employers.
Career Guides are Expected to:
- Monitor email weekly for Career Guide communications
- Submit "one-time" career development feedback within 14 days of match notification
- Understand that match frequency is based on the number of students and Career Guides participating, there may be months when you may not receive a match notification.
- Notify program coordinator of any changes to contact or employment information
Career Guides are NOT Expected to:
- Offer jobs or internships
- Be industry experts or have all the answers
- Extend contact beyond the "one-time" career development feedback session
- Gain personal satisfaction by helping students achieve career growth and development
- Build your professional network and engage with the emerging talent pool
- Develop coaching, leadership, and critical thinking skills
Contact Renecia Griffie Davis at 502-852-2534 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up to be a Mentor
Complete the online Career Guide Mentor Volunteer Form.
Are you a Student?
Learn how you can register for a Career Guide Mentor— Click here to get started