Connect. Learn. Grow. Get matched with industry professionals in your career field to receive valuable support and guidance.
The Online Career Guide Mentor Program is offered entirely online through email communication and supports the professional development of currently enrolled Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) and Metropolitan College (MC) students preparing to enter the workforce.
The Online Career Guide Mentor Program provides an opportunity for students to connect with industry professionals who will serve as their "Career Guides" for brief, one-time feedback in one or more of the following areas: Resume Review, LinkedIn Profile Review, and Career Portfolio Review. Career Guides and students can maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session, if mutually agreed upon.
Metropolitan College Students
If you are a Metropolitan College participant, you must complete the MC 30 Credit Hour CAPP Resume Requirement BEFORE you can obtain a referral to the Online Career Guide Mentor Program. Please refer to your MyMC page for instructions and next steps or contact a MC Student Development Counselor for assistance.
How It Works
- Schedule an appointment or walk-in to one of our CREW Career Centers in order to develop or update your relevant career document and obtain a referral for the Online Career Guide Mentor Program (allot 1 to 2 hours).
- Complete the online Career Guide Student Request Form (to be provided by MC/CREW staff; allot 5 minutes).
- Receive a match notification email (allot 3 business days).
- Receive one-time feedback from the Career Guide via email (allot 7 business days).
- Complete the online Student Satisfaction Survey (allot 1 minute) and send a thank-you email to the Career Guide.
Note: The goal is to match Career Guides with students who share similar career interests; however, all networking relationships are deemed valuable and can contribute to professional growth, knowledge sharing, and innovative ideas. Career Guides and students can maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session, if mutually agreed upon.
Due to high office traffic and the busy time of the semester, the Online Career Guide Mentor Program will be unavailable during the months of January, August and December. Any requests received during this temporary closure will be reviewed in the upcoming month.
Professional Feedback Areas
Request one-time feedback from a Career Guide in any of the following areas:
- Resume Review | Delivery Method: Email- Receive helpful advice on your resume and learn how to promote your skills and experience to employers. Review the Resume Packet and contact a MC/CREW counselor to learn how to get started.
- LinkedIn Profile Review | Delivery Method: Email - Receive helpful advice on your LinkedIn profile and learn how to market your personal brand, network with professionals, and showcase your relevant skills and experience to employers. Review the LinkedIn Profile Checklist and contact a MC/CREW counselor to learn how to get started.
Note: Privacy settings for LinkedIn must be set to "Make my public profile visible to everyone". You can change your privacy settings after you receive feedback from the Career Guide.
- Career Portfolio Review | Delivery Method: Email - Receive helpful advice on your online career portfolio and learn how to brand your candidacy and effectively highlight relevant skills and experience to employers. Review the Promoting Yourself Online Resource Sheet and contact a MC/CREW counselor to learn how to get started.
Note: Privacy settings for online career portfolio must be set to "public" or allow anyone with the direct link to access the website. You can change your privacy settings after you receive feedback from the Career Guide.
Request Additional Career Guide Matches
Students may request additional Career Guide match referrals from MC/CREW staff upon review and approval of student’s relevant career document(s).
Feedback Communication Reminder
This is an online mentorship program. Communication among Career Guide Mentor and student are through Career Guide online forms only. This program does not facilitate face-to face interaction.
Students must meet all of the following requirements in order to be considered for the program.
- Must be a currently enrolled Jefferson Community and Technical College or Metropolitan College student
- Must have a minimum of 30 earned college credit hours
- Must have clearly defined academic and career goals
- Must have current or previous work experience developed through full-time or part-time employment, volunteering, co-op and internship experiences, etc.
- Must obtain a referral from Metropolitan College or JCTC CREW Career Center staff
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times and be open to feedback
- Monitor your email for Career Guide communications and follow proper email etiquette
- Remember that Career Guides are not required to maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session
- DO NOT ask for a job or internship
- Gain valuable insight and advice from industry professionals
- Develop strategies to enhance your skills and experience
- Build your professional network and establish valuable connections
Contact Renecia Griffie Davis, Student Development Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (502) 213-4521.
If you are a current student and you want to get matched with a Career Guide industry professional to receive valuable support and guidance, schedule an appointment or walk-in to one of our CREW Career Centers.
Are you an employer or professional interested volunteering for the online mentor program?
We are excited to hear that you are interested in offering valuable support and guidance to our students. Learn More and Get Started.