Connect. Learn. Grow. Get matched with industry professionals in your career field to receive valuable support and guidance.
The Online Career Guide Mentor Program is offered entirely online through email communication and supports the professional development of currently enrolled Jefferson Community and Technical College (JCTC) students and Metropolitan College (MC) students and alumni preparing to enter the workforce.
The Online Career Guide Mentor Program is designed to connect students with professionals who will serve as their "Career Guides" for brief, one-time feedback in one or more of the following areas: Resume Review, LinkedIn Profile Review, and Career Portfolio Review. Career Guides and students can maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session, if mutually agreed upon.
Metropolitan College Students
If you are a Metropolitan College participant, you must complete the 30 Credit Hour CAPP Resume requirement to participate in this program. If you are needing to complete your CAPP resume requirement, please refer to your MyMC page for instructions and next steps.
If you have already completed the 30 Credit Hour CAPP Resume requirement, you can sign up for a Career Guide match through our self-enrollment option. To begin the self-enrollment process: (1) Log in to your MyMC Page, (2) Go to the “MC Portfolio” section, and (3) Complete the Career Guide Student Match Request form.
Be sure to update and customize your career document for your desired field before you begin the self-enrollment process. You can contact a MC/CREW counselor if you need any assistance revising your career document.
How It Works
- Get a referral! Schedule an appointment (JCTC-DT CREW or JCTC-SW CREW) or walk-in to one of our CREW Career Center locations to develop or revise career document for desired career field (allot 1 to 2 hours).
- Complete the Career Guide Student Match Request form (allot 5 minutes).
- Receive a match notification email (allot 3 business days).
- Receive one-time feedback from the Career Guide via email (allot 7 business days).
- Complete the Student Satisfaction Survey (allot 1 minute) and send a thank-you email to the Career Guide.
Note: The goal is to match Career Guides with students who share similar career interests; however, all networking relationships are deemed valuable and can contribute to professional growth, knowledge sharing, and innovative ideas. Career Guides and students can maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session, if mutually agreed upon.
Due to high office traffic and the busy time of the semester, the Online Career Guide Mentor Program will be unavailable during the months of January, August and December. Any requests received during this temporary closure will be reviewed in the upcoming month.
Professional Feedback Areas
Receive one-time feedback and unlimited Career Guide match referrals in any of the following areas:
- Resume Review |Sample Resume Feedback Form |Delivery Method: Email- Receive helpful advice on your resume and learn how to promote your skills and experience to employers. Review the Resume Packet and contact a MC/CREW counselor to learn how to get started. Note: ONLY DOC, DOCX, AND RTF FILES ARE SUPPORTED.
- LinkedIn Profile Review |Sample LinkedIn Feedback Form| Delivery Method: Email - Receive helpful advice on your LinkedIn profile and learn how to market your personal brand, network with professionals, and showcase your relevant skills and experience to employers. Review the LinkedIn Profile Checklist and contact a MC/CREW counselor to learn how to get started. Note: Privacy settings for LinkedIn must be set to "Make my public profile visible to everyone". You can change your privacy settings after you receive feedback from the Career Guide.
- Career Portfolio Review| Sample Online Career Portfolio Feedback Form| Delivery Method: Email - Receive helpful advice on your online career portfolio and learn how to brand your candidacy and effectively highlight relevant skills and experience to employers. Review the Promoting Yourself Online Resource Sheet and contact a MC/CREW counselor to learn how to get started. Note: Privacy settings for online career portfolio must be set to "public" or allow anyone with the direct link to access the website. You can change your privacy settings after you receive feedback from the Career Guide.
This is an online mentorship program. Communication among Career Guide Mentor and student are through Career Guide online forms only. Career Guides and students can maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session, if mutually agreed upon. This program does not facilitate face-to face interaction.
Students must meet all of the following requirements in order to be considered for the program.
- Must be a currently enrolled JCTC Student or Metropolitan College Student/Alumni
- Must have a minimum of 30 earned college credit hours
- Must have clearly defined academic and career goals
- Must have current or previous work experience developed through full-time or part-time employment, volunteering, co-op and internship experiences, etc.
- Must obtain a Career Guide match referral from Metropolitan College or JCTC CREW Career Center staff
- Monitor your email for Career Guide communications
- Follow proper email etiquette when communicating with Career Guides
- Conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times and be open to feedback
- Remember that Career Guides are not required to maintain contact beyond the one-time feedback session
- DO NOT ask for a job or internship
- Build and expand your professional network
- Gain valuable insight from professionals who want to help you succeed
- Learn helpful strategies on how to develop your skills and experience
Contact Renecia Griffie Davis, Student Development Counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (502) 213-4521.
If you are a currently enrolled student and you want to get matched with a Career Guide Mentor in your industry for feedback on your career document(s), schedule an appointment or walk-in to one of our CREW Career Centers.
Interested in volunteering to be a Career Guide Mentor?
We are always looking for professionals to offer valuable support and career guidance to our students. Learn More and Get Started.